Who Can Contribute to Your HSA?

Anyone can contribute to your HSA (you, your employer, your spouse, etc.). If your employer allows it, you can contribute to your HSA through pre-tax payroll withholding, so you don’t have to pay federal taxes, FICA, and state taxes, in most states.

You can also contribute after-tax to your HSA. If you do, you can deduct that contribution amount on your tax return, but you’re responsible for FICA taxes. You get the tax deduction for HSA contributions made by anyone except your employer.


The IRS sets limits on the maximum that can be contributed to an HSA each year; these limits are the total amount you, your employer, and anyone else can contribute.

2018 Contribution Limits:
Individual: $3,450
Family: $6,900

Once you reach age 55, however, you’re allowed to contribute an extra $1,000 annually to your HSA.


To begin contributing to your HSA, you must be enrolled in a HSA-qualified health plan on the first day of that month. So if you enroll in a HSA-qualified health plan and HSA on May 15th, you’ll be able to contribute to your HSA starting June 1st.

You can contribute to your HSA until that year’s federal income tax deadline (generally around April 15th of the following year). That means you can make HSA contributions for the 2018 tax year until mid-April 2019.

Unlike a flexible spending account, you can change your contribution amount as often as your employer allows—not just during open enrollment or after a qualifying event. You can front-load, back-load, or stagger your HSA contributions as desired.

However, if you exceed the annual contribution limit and don’t remove the excess contributions by that year’s tax filing deadline, you’ll have to pay a penalty. As your HSA’s owner, you’re responsible for making sure you don’t exceed your annual contribution limit.


  • Your contributions remain in your HSA until you use them (there’s no use-it-or-lose-it limit). And any interest or earnings grow tax-free and are tax-free when withdrawn for eligible medical expenses.
  • You aren’t required to make equal HSA contributions throughout the year. You can front-load, back-load, or stagger your contributions if desired.
  • If you have multiple funded HSAs, you can consolidate your funds into one HSA via a transfer or rollover. Learn more about HSA transfers and rollovers here.
  • You can invest your contributions like a 401(k) or IRA and save for retirement medical expenses.
  • If you lose HSA eligibility during the year, you must prorate your contributions for the months you were eligibility. To do that, divide the applicable maximum contribution limit by the number of months you were eligible (you’d also do this for the $1,000 catch-up contribution if you’re over 55).
  • You can fix an excess contribution by withdrawing it from your account before the tax-filing deadline and making sure your HSA trustee codes it as an excess contribution reversal rather than a distribution. If you don’t reverse an excess contribution by that year’s tax filing deadline, however, you’ll have to pay ordinary income tax plus a 6% penalty on that excess amount each year it remains in your account.

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Contributions:

Can I Contribute Outside Of Payroll Deductions?
Yes. You may contribute to your HSA outside of payroll deductions by contributing online or by mail. (See “How do I contribute?”) Be sure to monitor your contributions to ensure that you do not exceed IRS annual contribution limits.

If I’m Eligible For Medicare But DO NOT Enroll In Medicare Part A, B Or D, Can I Still Contribute?
Medicare enrollment is what disqualifies you from being eligible to contribute to your HSA. Eligibility alone doesn’t impact you being able to contribute to your HSA. *Please note that you cannot opt out of Medicare Part A without opting out of all Social Security benefits.

How Do I Contribute?
You may contribute online, via pre-tax payroll deduction or by mail.

  • To contribute online, log into your account and/or watch our “how to” video. After logging in, go to PROFILE > MY PROFILE > SCHEDULED EVENTS, click Add Contribution Event, enter your contribution details and banking information, check the box authorizing the transaction, then click Save. To save your banking information for next time, go to PROFILE > MY PROFILE > BANKING INFORMATION, click Add New Banking Profile, enter your information, then click Save Banking Profile.
  • To contribute via pre-tax payroll deduction, contact your employer. If your employer has a Section 125 Cafeteria Plan, they should be able to deduct your contributions from your paycheck on a pre-tax basis, which decreases your taxable income.
  • To contribute by mail, download and complete our Contribution Form, then mail your check made payable to FPS Trust to: FPS Trust on behalf of HealthSavings, P.O. Box 3079, Englewood, CO 80155.

When Can I Access My First Contribution?
Please allow up to 10 business days for accessing your first contribution. After we have verified your account and processed your first contribution, we will process your future contributions more quickly. (3-4 business days for ACH pulls and 2-3 business days for wires.)

Ready to enroll?

A health savings account (HSA) combines the immediate benefits of a flexible spending account with the retirement strategy of a 401(k) … and offers more tax advantages than either.

Apply Now